4 Tips for Keeping Boats & RVs Secure This Winter
According to BoatUS 10 out of every 1,000 personal watercraft are stolen each year. It makes sense that someone looking to take another person's boat or RV might consider doing it once it's stored for the winter. Thieves may see greater opportunity as they believe your recreational vehicles are more accessible since they've been put on the back burner of the owner's mind for a few months.
As your trusted security resource, we have identified a few extra precautions you can take to make sure your boat and RV are safe and secure during the winter months.
1. Track your watercraft or RV with our iTrail GPS Tracking Device
Quickly install and track your boat or RV with our iTrail solo GPS Tracking device. The iTrail Solo can simply be placed in the glove compartment. For more covert tracking, here’s where we recommend installing the iTrail logger with a magnetic case to undercarriage of RV.
Regularly check on the location of your RV or boat your from our free app from any place at any time with customizable reports, battery life and motion activation management built into the iTrail tracking platform. Easily set up geo-fencing alerts and get notified when your recreational vehicle exits the Geo-fencing area. If you’re moving your boat across states, this is also a good way to track it. The iTrail monitors its position on Google Maps and reports back to you every 30-60 seconds.
2.Consider storing your boat or RV in a facility designed for them- and a good one.
There are several different ways you can store your boat and RV. You can choose to leave the boat at the marina in the winter, store your rec vehicle on your personal property, or invest in a facility designed especially for storing recreational vehicles in the winter months. It goes without saying, that we recommend you invest the extra cost and take it to a speciality storage facility or a marina that is known for its security.
A good storage facility or marina will have plenty of space for any type of boat or RV, large or small. They will also have extra precautions set up such as paid 24 hour security detail, good lighting, gated access and limited accessibility. You will generally find at least one of these high end facilities or marinas in your town and located conveniently close to recreational areas.
3. Keep a close eye with our long life, battery powered hidden cameras
Not so sure about the security of your boat and RV storage facility or marina? Not a problem. With our new SG Home line of hidden cameras, you can keep an eye on your luxury equipment from anywhere in the world at any time. Click here for more information and recommendations on the perfect hidden surveillance for your boat and RV.
4. Make it extra difficult to steal
Don't have the budget for a high end, extra secure RV storage facility or marina? No worries. There are some extra precautions you can take to keep them secure during the winter months. The good news is you can implement these inexpensive and easy additional safety measures no matter where you've decide to park them for the winter.
Here are a few extra precautions we recommend:
- If storing in an less than ideal marina- Visit your boat regularly and make arrangement with other boat owners to check on each other’s boats.
- Make sure there is good lighting wherever you choose to keep your boat or RV.
- If your boat is stored on a trailer, make sure the tongue is facing away from the road.
- Remove at least one wheel and keep the boat trailer up on blocks.
- Valuables and easily removed items should be secured below deck in a locked compartment.
- If your boat is kept in the water at a dock, consider chaining it to the dock.
- Boats should be covered with a tight-fitting canvas.
- In a carport or driveway, park a vehicle in front of the trailer, blocking easy removal.
- Use a high-security chain and quality lock to secure the boat and trailer to a fixed object such as a tree or post.
Contact us today to learn more about these great covert security options for keeping track of your valuable boat or RV. We’re here to help you find just the right option for your winter storage needs.
Post a Comment